Navigating the caregiver maze: Adult day care can help
By Tracey L. Wolfman, RN, MA, Administrator, We Care Adult Day Care
[Ed. Note: CareOne is proud to offer information from our community care partners about useful resources for seniors and their families. For more information about We Care Adult Day Care, call 732-741-7363 or click here.]
Are you trying to find your way through the caregiver’s maze? If the answer is yes, you aren’t alone.
Caregiving is one of the most challenging of life transitions facing adult children as they are thrown into the role of caregiver for an elderly parent and/or spouse, particularly one who has a condition like Alzheimer’s disease. It’s a complete shift in mindset and a role reversal for adult children and/or spouses facing this challenge. How this loved one is cared for is just one of the many decisions adult children must make.
Fortunately, resources are available, including We Care Adult Care, an alternative resource of care and respite! The cost is about half the price of home care, based on an hourly rate, and We Care Adult Care has many alternative options to pay for services, including grants to those who qualify. Payment options include:
- Long-Term Care Insurance—Many policies offer coverage for adult day care centers.
- Alzheimer’s Association—Offers $1,000 non-income based reimbursement to individuals attending an adult day care program for memory-related disorders.
- Medicare Waiver Program—The maximum income limit is $3,296 a month and liquid assets of $40,000 or less for an individual (or $60,000 or less for a couple).
- GO (Global Options)—Maximum gross income limit is $2,022 a month for a single person with no more than $2,000 in assets (or $4,044 a month with no more than $3,000 in assets).
- State Wide Respite Program—A single person must have a monthly income below $2,022 ($4,044 for couples) and have liquid assets of less than $40,000 ($60,000 for couples).
- Medicaid—Provides funding for people who are medically eligible.
We Care Adult Care also offers assistance and guidance to obtain these grants.
Feel free to stop in and see why We Care Adult Day Care makes the difference! Your loved one will enjoy a quality of life environment that provides stimulating activities, nutritious gourmet meals, nursing care, physical and occupational therapy, social service needs and much more.